Saturday, August 28, 2010

As Advertised

Cement legs have plagued me all week, so I posted a slower pace for today's ride.
Amy, Paula and me took on the heat and wind in our quest to reach Jordan. The sun beat down without any clouds to soften its wrath, the south wind only intensified as the the day wore on and the heat built. At Victoria we turned directly into the teeth of the wind and had about 15 miles of some pretty hard work until we reached Jordan. After head-down, quad-aching work and with about 4 miles to go we ran into fresh chip-seal. Nothing had been swept up yet. Not good at all for skinny tires, or carbon frames. Democracy is a beautiful thing; Jordan was no longer a destination. We took a slightly different route back to Victoria and ooohhhhhh the sweetness of that tailwind.
Cheesy Crackers In Victoria! (I was at the Fair yesterday no HoHos for me)
We followed the same route back to Excelsior, but I'm not one who's a big fan of out-and-backs, so to change things up a bit we came home on a top secret training route from the past. It has some very special, short, steep rollers that just crucify the quads. We're talkin' small chain ring steep. Yeah Baby! As hard as it is to believe, I may be hated even more now. A couple of comments heard as we approached these mini mounts; are we doing that one too? I don't like this road, and, my favorite, there was a flat road just a block or two away from here. These were all stated most seriously, so I tried very hard not to laugh, or even smile.
We made it home. I'm not sure I'm forgiven yet. I may never be. 83/18.7

3 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

Forgiveness will sooner or later give way to time.

The small chain ring has become a friend of mine.

amy said...

N-E-V-E-R.
See you tomorrow.

tainterturtles said...

I like your honesty Tom!

Hope the legs settle down and give you some peace.