Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dang Stinkin' Hot

Woke up to condensation on my windows. Stuck my head outside and couldn't believe how hot it was for 7 in the morning, 80 degrees with a dew point of 77, and it was only going to get better.
I thought maybe I'd join up with the Flanders guys, but I couldn't get my butt moving fast enough to get there by 8. Left my apartment at 8:30 and still didn't know where I'd go. These are pretty extreme conditions, so I wanted to be smart about what I did and safe. Started towards Wayzata, and then thought I'd catch the Dakota Rail Trail to St. Bonni. Trees would give me a little cover from the sun, and I'd never be too far from some help. No climbs, so little exertion needed. It would be easy to take it easy, and that's what I did. If I got too tired...just turn around.
Pretty nice. Wound up taking the trail all the way to Mayer. Ron had told me that after the new bridge over the marsh, it was about a half mile and the trail was asphalt again. He was right all the way to Mayer.
I was surprised by how many people were out, but the numbers had diminished significantly on my return trip. People were smart and got their rides in early to avoid the oppressive heat and humidity. Four bottles of water and 32 oz of Lime Gatorade. For me that's a lot. I was pretty tired when I got home. That heat and humidity really pulls it out of you, but it was a very nice ride, and I really enjoy that trail. 70/17.3

Here's some stuff I saw along the way.

Lake Minnetonka (Thick Air)
Standing Water In The Farm Fields
This Is In Mayer. No Wonder Ron Wanted Me To Go All The Way To Mayer.
Six Miles And I'd Be Home (still 77 degree dew point)

1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

Good for you Tom....glad you rode early this morning. This will be a challenging week.