Sunday, July 3, 2011

Redundancy

It's been a rough weekend, with minor calamities sweeping through numerous aspects of my life. I'm hoping that this gets them all out of the way for awhile now. My business life, my personal life and even today's bike ride were all touched by this unexpected wave of discombobulation. Don't worry, none of this had anything to do with my kids or grandkids, just me. Earlier today the personal got fixed. Communication is a beautiful thing.
Today on the bike was going great as Steve and I were enjoying a ride of the injured, old and opinionated, at a very appropriate speed. Then I hit a small rock that cut into the side wall of my tire. Boot applied and tire was whole, job well done, but my tube patching skills were shown to be seriously deficient. First attempt left a leak and me with only one air cartridge left. Second attempt was simpler as I just replaced my leaking tube with a spare tube. Unfortunately it was leaking too, and found to have been patched quite well, but not thoroughly. Yes, that's right I've been carrying a spare tube around that had at least one unpatched hole in it. All my air gone, Steve had a tube and one cartridge of air. Our last hope. We found another scenario, besides foxholes during war, where Atheists don't exist . Our prayers offered up and breath held to show our faith in a good outcome, I used our last cartridge of air on another patched tube. Fortunately, Steve had patched all of the previous punctures in his tube and our prayers were answered and lungs emptied. Now all we had to do was get home without having another flat. And that we did, despite the bike shop we stopped at in Excelsior being closed. 50/17.4

It was a perfect evening, for a walk through the Rose Garden. The beauty and simplicity of the flowers brought peace and calm to a harried few days.
My favorite image? I'm sure you can guess it's the last one.







2 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

Wow, "discombobulation" did you know that has 6 sylables?

On trails, I carry spare tubes and air pump, patches last resort, getting stranded and ate alive by bugs or wild animals is scary.

But let's hope your calamities are over for and your riding like a slice of heaven....

tainterturtles said...

There is such beauty in flowers and you certainly know how to catch that beauty with your lens.

Isn't life crazy with it's ups and downs? Sometimes I feel that you have to be prepared with punches from all sides. I hope you have better days with your business and personal life.

Yup, communication sure makes life more enjoyable.