Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Bit Cold In Two Ways

Been fighting with a sore throat the last couple of days, and feeling just a smidge tired. Not enough though to keep me from a ride with Amy to Hanover. And there's no way I'm going to miss HoHos in Delano.
Day started cold, windy and cloudy, but we could see blue sky, and it was in the direction we were headed. It's starting to get very pretty out. The fall colors still have about 3 weeks before they peak, but there's definitely change out there. Corn stalks are tall and beige, soybeans are golden, and there are hints of red, orange and yellow in the trees.
We saw a couple of herons and an eagle along with a curious blue clad cyclist up by Medina. Hey that's Talib! Got to ride with him for a good 40 miles.
The wind was exhibiting no sympathy for me and my under-the-weather status, and it seemed to even intensify between Medina and Hanover. Just put my head down and ground it out. I backed off on the hills a little trying to conserve a some energy. My legs had that general don't feel good kind of ache.
It was beautiful out though. I love to see the change of the seasons, although, the older the hairy legs get, the less I like to see it change to cold. Despite ridicule at the beginning of the ride I got the cycling gear right and was warm for the duration. It was, however, a sobering reminder about what is ahead when we stepped out from our stop in Delano and felt the cool breeze on our wet jerseys. It's always a quick and motivated effort to get back to speed and warmed up again.
A really nice ride. As always the company and conversation was delightful. 81/19.5

4 comments:

amy said...

i bet you can get hohos somewhere closer to home than Delano. maybe...

MrDaveyGie said...

HoHos the secret weapon of champions, oh, and cheesy crackers too. :-)
Good ride on a low day, way to bang em out.

tainterturtles said...

Last week Bike man and I had that sore throat, which lead to a head cold! Be sure to sleep in tomorrow.

Glad you and Amy had a good ride, but HoHo's??? Aren't HoHo's made from plastic?

mrbill said...

Good ride Harry, I had a sore throat myself about a week ago, I was off the bike a few days.