Saturday, November 13, 2010

Growling Works!

Well, they got that right. It started snowing early this morning and is still snowing at 2pm this afternoon. It's that thick, heavy, wet snow that's perfect for snow balls and snow people, but not so great for bike riding. Nevertheless, we were out in it. We even heard a loud crack and looked just in time to see a tree branch crashing to the ground under the weight of all the snow. It was maybe 20 yards from us.
What else is there to do on a Saturday? I went down a few times. As you can see in the pictures below, the snow stuck to everything, even clogging up the wheels bringing them to abrupt, unexpected stops.
It was just Amy and me slogging it out. More than one growl was heard from both of us. I never got it into my big chain ring. My max speed for the two hour plus ride was 13.4 mph. Average speed was 7.6 mph for a whopping 17 whole miles. Just a little shy of last Saturday's 76 miles.
It really was nice to be out. Just beautiful, but I sure would've liked a few more miles. At the end of the ride I had to carry my bike because the wheels wouldn't move anymore. I'd clear the packed snow away and within a couple of revolutions I was stopped again. Hopefully I'll be able to get some larger miles in tomorrow.


Old Blue Handled It Like He Hadn't Missed Last Season
Some Accumulation On Amy's Bill (and those aren't deep rim wheels)
We Saw Some Beautiful Winter Scapes


Cedar Lake Looked A Bit Foreboding


5 comments:

steve said...

I bet I did as many miles at states. It was beautiful out. And very slow going. I am one tired old man.
Lovely pics - winter can be so breathtaking.

Anonymous said...

I don't feel so bad now with my whopping 10 mph average near the end. 7 AM was a lot nicer riding. Yes, it was darned pretty.

MrDaveyGie said...

You two are troopers, snow rides do rock.
Now if you will just visit Greg at Speedway Cycles he has got a bike just for you. Mine is being shipped next week. :-)

http://speedwaycyclesak.com/

tainterturtles said...

I don't care what you and Amy say, 17 miles in that wet snowy muck is hard work, and you two deserve a big hand shake.

Very nice snow pics.

mrbill said...

For a Texas boy it's hard to believe yall were out in that. Looks like good reading weather. I was wondering how bad it had to get for Amy to put on something other than just her regular kit.