Saturday, November 20, 2010

Unpleasant

Sun didn't help the temps much today. Departed with a windchill of 9, actual temp of 18. Three and a half hours and 60 miles later the windchill had risen 3 whole degrees as had the actual temp. Broke out the hand and toe warmers for the first time this year, and pretty much had on the gear I'd wear for a 0 degree ride. I was not over dressed. Put the mtb pedals on the Cannondale road bike so that I could wear my Lake boots, which are worth their weight in gold. They work!
Amy, Steve and I had our sights on Stillwater. I was grateful for the enthusiastic and positive response I got to my suggestion of taking 3 miles off the ride. That might not sound like much, but those miles were straight into the wind, with no cover, and there was a nasty climb waiting for us.
Oh! the sweetness of that tailwind. The moans of relief were sounded in unison. Made a quick stop in Lake Elmo. The lady at the gas station was appropriately impressed with our frigid trek, and was respectful enough to keep her thoughts about our lack of sanity to herself. The look on her face said what she didn't.
Gotta admit it was kind of a harsh ride today, but staying in, or working out at the gym would've been so much worse. These cold rides will be somewhat easier to handle, in the future, as the old hairy blood thickens up.
A ride well worth the level of its unpleasantness. 60/16.8



6 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

Yeap indoor workouts for survival only.
Outdoor rides, pleasure with a workout.
Good job.

Lynne said...

Have you ever ridden what I think is called the Lake Minnetonka Regional trail about a mile or two from Excelsior after it's snowed and then melted/refrozen? It's that part they don't plow. That was quite the winter/studded tire inaugural ride today! I am eternally grateful to Freewheel for inflating my tires only to 45 lbs. I would never have known and would have bounced right off the side & down the embankment otherwise.
Anyway, I ask because I'm wanting to know if it will likely stay like that the rest of the year? I am riding further than last year, I think. I remember turning around where it wasn't plowed, but it seemed a lot further? Anyway, the sun did pop out briefly on the ride home & melted some of the top just a tiny, tiny bit. But it was enough to make the ride back over that portion a white knuckle ride. Maybe I can get on the road around that short area?

Were you expecting it to be as cold as it was today? I was just thinking that the low 20's wasn't bad at all last year, but it felt so cold today. I don't get it :)

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

Lynne, that area is between two different cities. Each city along the trail plows the part that runs through that city. Niether of the two cities claim that part of the trail so it always goes unplowed. And yes it creates some excitement, because of ice or deep snow.
Looks like I'll be on the trail tomorrow. Freezing rain is predicted to be falling from the clouds so...looks like some more excitement.
The temps got predicted accurately for today, so I was expecting it. I just wasn't ready for it. Give me another week or two and I'll be fine with it.

Lynne said...

Hmm. I think I will find a way around that small section on roads. I don't think you will find it to be a problem (except tomorrow with the freezing rain!), but it's too bumpy for me, especially when I am tired coming back.

I'm sure I'll acclimate, too. It just felt so much colder than I remembered from last year. It's probably like that every year, and I just forgot. I think this is only my third year winter biking, and each year has been so different.

Oh, I wish they would be wrong about the weather tomorrow, but so many services are in agreement that I think it will very likely freezing rain. Frustrated because I will be going stir crazy stuck in the house-that stuff is too hard to bike on, let alone walk (biking is easier, actually).

Have fun tomorrow. :)

mrbill said...

"kind of a harsh ride", that may be the understatement of the year, Harry, you got you one bad addiction, it's going to be rough here today, cloudy and mid 70's, I'll tough it out.

tainterturtles said...

I am always amazed at your winter ride Tom. Don't kid yourself, those so called Harry Legge's aren't as old as you think!!!

I'm sure you will toughen up in a week or two.