Friday, November 5, 2010

Is Everything OK?

Laid my bike down on the grass, camera bag and gloves next to it. Unzipped my jacket and started getting my camera ready. I love shooting into the sun, with it as a backdrop. Apparently that's not the way it's suppose to be done. Yeah, like that's something new for me...more like the story of my life. Divorced, still single, raced unattached, self employed, left my church and God...hmmm, I think I see a trend here.

Looking through the eye piece 99% of the world goes away. I literally focus in on the solitary, the one among many, the standout. It's also what I do for a living. I'm an abstracter. Abstract means to epitomize.

I got these shots this evening. I almost started crying as the beauty of the one slowly emerged from the crammed confusion and chaos of so much. And then, of course, the discovery that one is filled with infinite intricacies and beauty. Amazing...the vastness in simplicity.






Gathering my gear I was startled by the question, "is everything OK?" I looked up to find I was no longer alone, of course I never had been, just a little self-induced solitude. Another cyclist seeing my things on the ground, wanted to be sure that I was safe, hadn't been hurt, had what I needed.

Alone would be tough. I saw one of the Chilean miners interviewed last night. He said, he would not have survived alone, that he survived because there were others with him. I am one, but love to be among many. I need the strength of others not only to survive, but to thrive. And their survival is dependent on me as well. I find joy in this, and peace, purpose and fulfillment. Life is good when it's shared with others. 14/15.3

6 comments:

Lynne said...

It is quite unpleasant, but a person can survive years in a solitary existence. It is difficult and more often than not there is no pleasure in it, but generally speaking you find you are stronger than you thought you could be.

tainterturtles said...

So well said Tom. Not only are you a gifted photographer, but a gifted writer. By reading your blog for almost two years, I know you are a people person. How nice of that other cyclist to stop and inquirer about your situation.

Enjoy your ride tomorrow with the gang!

mrbill said...

Well said, I'm on my way to a ride with friends and am looking forward to it as I know you are too. Yall have a good one out there today!!!

amy said...

i am glad to be one of the others in your life. It is great that people can complement and illuminate solitude for eachother. I am thankful for it.

MrDaveyGie said...

Tom, wonderful words, intereting thoughts, well said straight out of the heart, made me think, think about myself. Good writing does that,

MrDaveyGie said...

Oh I was going to add, the Movie, "The Great Divide" bicylers riding from Canada, to Mexico across the rockies. Day in and day out alone for the most part, an unsupported race. What did them in? these hard core bikers,j almost all buckled from the loneliness, many broke down crying.