Friday, June 17, 2011

Great Start To The Weekend

Lots of fun at the NVGP crit in Uptown tonight. Those racers are scary fast.
Saw tons of friends, and some very fun racing. Unfortunately, with one lap to go, there was a massive crash in the womens race, that took out about half the field. We were about 40 feet from where it happened. They took 5 women to the hospital in ambulances. Several broken clavicles, a head gash, lots of road rash, and sore limbs. Most of the bikes seemed to fair alright. It happens, it just #$%&ing happens. They canceled the race. The standings remained the same from the day before.
Taking pictures of the crash seemed wrong. It was hard to watch. They carried three women off on stretchers, then they hosed down the street to wash the blood and debris away. It was bad. Later talking to one of the medics, that's a friend of mine, it sounds like everybody will be fine.
Here's some of the fun stuff we saw.


I was off the bike today. I think being off was a good idea, at least I feel good. I'm riding with a couple of friends tomorrow, nice, easy and slow. I'm shooting for 40 miles and would be thrilled with 50 or 60. Speed won't matter.


(So I run spell check when I finish all my posts. I don't know what it means, but it doesn't seem right that I should know how to spell clavicle.)

2 comments:

tainterturtles said...

The crash sounds bad, I can just imagine. I saw many crashes in my mountain bike racing days and it always made me shutter.

Spell check hasn't been working for me lately.....just like other stuff in blogger. Getting kinda of fed-up with blogger lately!

MrDaveyGie said...

Ouch, to many owies. Three local riders went down yesterday, a cat ran in front of the lead rider, all will heal, all will miss some riding.
Eye, donn't nead sprell chek.