Monday, June 13, 2011

One Week Over

I'm feeling like that minister who predicted the end of the world would be May 21st. A week ago I predicted that the effects of my crash would go "away pretty quick". At the time I didn't think I'd broken anything, and, for whatever reason, my ribs hadn't started to hurt. It's been a rough week. I'm now guessing it will be at least another week or two, before I start feeling sure enough to get some longer miles in. Ribs are coming along, but I can't get out of the saddle or apply any pull against the handle bars to create any torque with my legs. My wrist is still swollen and quickly tingles in any hand position. Within an hour it is aching. I think my wrist is going to be the big problem when it comes to long miles. Also, I'm going through the fear part of riding again. I see people on the trails, and I get nervous they're going to crash into me. That will fade with time though.
OK, so those are the complaints.
Here's the progress:
My Schwinn has 10cm less distance between the nose of the saddle and the middle of the handle bars, than my other bikes. Today I took out the Evil One, and had to get the ribs to accept an additional 10cm. They were reluctant at first, but became more accepting as the ride progressed.


I wasn't too uncomfortable, but had to change hand position often to keep my wrist from tingling and hurting. Riding Evil was an important step in getting back on a road bike. I think I'll be able to keep riding Evil this week. I only rode for a little over an hour, but I'll take it. Hopefully a little more tomorrow. 15/12.0

3 comments:

StevenCX said...

Maybe you should get some x-rays. Probably nothing you can do about cracked ribs, but there's help for your wrist.

MrDaveyGie said...

I've been riding hard for ya bro. :-)
Oh and I've had crashes where my wrist wasn't the sorest at the start but ended up being the slowest to heal. I bought a wrist brace with a hard support to keep the strain off and that helped quite a bit when riding. Hope your back to teaching those youngsters a lesson soon and riding those sub 5 100 milers.

tainterturtles said...

Your 15 miles today was a step forward. Hope the evil one treats you well this week.

Hang in there Tom.