Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cold Spring

Rode with Amy for about the first 10 miles of my SSR then she turned back for her home. She was making sure she was ready to ride when the warmth returns later this week by taking it easy today after yesterday's epic effort. Another drop dead gorgeous day, and, once again, it was cold. I was on my usual Sunday route up into Baker. I never grow tired of how beautiful it is there, in all seasons. 50/16.8 We'll be dealing with high water for a few more weeks.
I am just finishing up reading Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World". I loved the following dialogue between The Controller and the savage.

“We prefer to do things comfortably”. (the controller)

“But I don’t want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom. I want goodness. I want sin.” (the savage)

“You’re claiming the right to be unhappy.”

“All right then, I’m claiming the right to be unhappy.”

“Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have to little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen tomorrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind.”

(there was a long pause and then the savage said)

“I claim them all.”



3 comments:

tainterturtles said...

The sunshine is sooo bright, but the melting snow just can't happen fast enough for me.

Glad those wheels were turning for you today.

MrDaveyGie said...

Hmmm, interesting dialogue. "The right to be unhappy"

Is that like we want to right to claim pain and climb hills and push ourselves into lactic acid and oxygen dept. I think maybe. :-)

mrbill said...

Nice pics, what's all that white stuff, sand? "Brave New World", excellent book. Have a good week!