Saturday, March 5, 2011

He Made A Tactical Mistake

The Irish Setter and his pal were waiting behind the white picket fence that paralleled the road. I knew they'd be there waiting for us, hiding behind the large pine tree. They always are. I yelled at 'em "LET'S GO GUYS". They were off before I got even with 'em. Oh ok, so that's how they want to play the game. Fine! The pal, with his long white coat and gray spots, wasn't into it. I passed him easily, even with his head start. The Irish Setter was playing for real his red fur floating behind him as he cut through the 20 degree air. I was only slightly gaining on him, and it didn't look like I'd get him before the white picket fence took a 90 degree turn ending his territory, and marking the finish line. Then he looked back. BIG mistake. He looked back to see where I was, but to look back he had to slow down. I had him, with a good ten yards before the fence turned, I went by him. Yes! He had kind of dumb-founded look on his face like, how'd that cyclist do that on a $79 frame and conti-contacts?
Chalk one up for the humans.

It was a really nice ride today. I think the best for the year so far. Temps stayed in the 20's, but the sun was out and the roads were in great shape (potholes not included in this assessment).

As we waited at a stop light a group of cyclists turned onto the road we were heading down. Before I could say anything Amy said, we are not chasing them down. The stop light wasn't changing, and they were getting farther ahead. I said, "but they have kits on, it's our duty to chase 'em down". I'd already been hit and called names (not by motorists) that can't be repeated here, so I really had nothing to lose. I hadn't been very nice on the hills and rollers we had encountered earlier. The light turned green and Amy reminded me again, we're not chasing them down. It wasn't too long and they came into sight. I said, "hey, we can see them". No! we're not chasing them down. "Look we're gaining on them, I bet we could catch them before Excelsior". She described me again in ways that can't be repeated here, but did include words like, big, hairy, oaf and other terms of endearment. And as we caught them she was still reiterating, "we're not chasing them down!"
Stopped at Dunn Bros for some well deserved hot chocolate for me and Earl Gray tea for Amy.
It was just Amy and me, but that's all it takes. Delightful ride for me, but I'm not so sure Amy enjoyed it too much. 63/ 16.0-17.3 (computer is being replaced tonight. It's only 12 years old)


A refueling stop. Amy can carry a lot of Sport Blocks in her cheeks.

5 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

"it's our duty to chase 'em down"

O, I can feel that statement. Ya gotta go get em, give it a try, :-)

tainterturtles said...

Look at Amy's happy face....love it!

I've lost track over the years to all the times Bike man left me high and dry so he could chase the cyclist ahead of us. I just shake my head. Is that a guy thing????

amy said...

the menfolk are sometimes nothing but 8 year olds in big hairy bodies.

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

I don't think it's a guy thing. Even with all the complaining, Amy was right on my wheel. She likes it too!

mrbill said...

Sounds like you had a good day, chasing dogs and keeping Amy on her toes, good for yall. I notice yall don't have much of a shoulder on that road, I also have some like that.