Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Oh Yes I Did

The entire state of Minnesota is under some sort of weather warning. Duluth is under a blizzard warning, with over a foot of snow predicted and winds have already reached 50 miles per hour. The rest of the northern two-thirds of the state is in a winter storm warning, and almost all the counties in the southern third are enduring flood warnings. Who the _____ would live here? An even more salient question would be, who the ______ would ride in this?
Locally it was a cold wet one right in the face. Temp was 36 when I started out on a de-fanged Evil One. Wind was averaging about 25 mph right out of the east. It was hard to tell if any of the rain actually hit the ground, because it was never really falling. It was basically moving horizontally, with the wind never letting it touch the ground. The wind was more than happy to let it pummel my face, though.
I put on my winter gear meant for about 20 degrees, and it worked well, until the thunder. The growl, like a hungry stomach, was followed by a hefty downpour, which soaked through my two pairs of gloves, and my winter tights in about 10 minutes. Fortunately, I was on my last loop around Lake of the Isles. I even got hailed on. Winter boots, winter tights, winter jersey and jacket, rain, thunder, hail, and even piles of plowed snow on the side of the roads.
Good day for a ride, a warm shower and soup. 24/15.3

2 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

I love it. It can't be beat.

tainterturtles said...

Yikes Tom! Nice description of your ride. Hope you took an extra loooong shower and two bowls of soup!