Sunday, February 20, 2011

Nasty Fast

I wish the title described my speed today, but, alas, it just refers to how quickly the storm hit.
The radar looked a bit ominous when I hopped on the saddle, but nothing was falling out of the sky. However, by the time I got to the Mississippi (6 miles) snow was blowing across the trail. Studs and Evil were my companion so I felt pretty confident I could handle it. Evil was solid and sure. The only problem were my glasses. The snow was accumulating so quickly on them that I had to stop to clean them off 3 or 4 times in maybe 10 miles. I couldn't take the glasses off either, because the snow was that little pellet kind of stuff that stings when it hits your face. When I took my glasses off the snow hit my eyes and I couldn't keep them open to see.
Stayed on the roads. I figured there would be fewer ice patches hiding under the new layer of white there than on the paths. The few cars that were out were very courteous and seemed to even understand my dilemma. Didn't quite get 2 hours in, but I'll take that with this storm. 21/13.3

Celebrating Britney and Ethan's birthdays this evening. Brit turned 28 on the 18th. Eth will be 30 on the 26th. They're all coming over here. I made a pot roast, chocolate pie and rolls.
I hope they can make it despite the 5 inches of snow on the ground already.

Eth (2) and Brit (a month or so)
A couple of years later

3 comments:

tainterturtles said...

Geez, not sure I would have enjoyed the conditions today if I was out riding in that white stuff. You certainly deserve a high five for the elements.

Hope the kids enjoyed the birthday dinner...sounds delicious to me.

MrDaveyGie said...

Oh that reminds me , Melissa my oldest birthday is the 26th, and 30 also.

mrbill said...

An admirable day on the bike and some fine looking younguns, good to you Tom.